Minors are intended as optional programs that will encourage coherence in the work that students undertake outside their major field(s) of study. The department offers a minor in Material Science and Engineering that is open to all students who are not majoring in MSE and who have completed the necessary prerequisites for the minor requirements.
The MSE Minor is open to any undergraduate who has:
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and a a 3.0 grade point average in the pre-requisite courses for the minor.
- Declared a major (not MSE) on the UC Berkeley campus.
- Completion of the minor must not delay graduation.
To be given credit for the MSE minor, undergraduates must:
- Maintain a GPA of 2.0 in the minor courses.
- Only one upper division course used for the minor can overlap with courses used for the major.
- Submit the Petition for Admission to the Undergraduate Minor to Ariana Castro (210A HMMB) after completion of the prerequisite courses.
- The department will approve or deny the application. If approved, the department will retain a copy and give the student a copy of the form.
- Submit a Petition for Completion of the Undergraduate Minor to Ariana Castro(210A HMMB) upon completion of the minor requirements.
- The department will verify the completion of minor and send the original form to the Office of the Registrar. A copy will be sent to the student’s College or School and one retained in the department. (Note: for graduating seniors, this must be done no later than two weeks after the end of the term.)
- The department will send a copy to the College and retain a copy for department file.
- A notation in the memorandum section of the student’s transcript will indicate completion of the minor.
The Faculty Advisor for the minor is Professor Daryl Chrzan.
Prerequisites (must be taken for letter grade)
- E45, Properties of Materials
- E45L, Properties of Materials Laboratory
- E115, Engineering Thermodynamics*
* -For BioE major, E115 can be substituted with Chem 120B, or Chem C130/MCB C100A
-For ChemE majors, E115 can be substituted with CBE 141; ChemE majors must also take two courses from MSE 104, MSE 111-113, and MSE 117-125.
-For ME major, E115 can be substituted with ME 40
Course Requirements (must be taken for letter grade)
|MSE 102||3||Bonding, Crystallography and Defects||E 45|
|MSE 103||3||Phase Transformations and Kinetics||MSE 102, E45; Undergraduate thermodynamics course recommended.|
|Students will also be required to take one (ChemE majors must take two) additional courses from the following list:|
|MSE 104||4||Materials Characterization||MSE 102|
|MSE 111||4||Properties of Electronic Materials||Physics 7A-7B-7C or Physics 7A-7B and consent of instructor.|
|MSE 112||3||Corrosion||E45 and E115|
|MSE 113C||3||Mechanical Properties of Materials||Engineering 45, CE 130, or equivalent|
|MSE 117||3||Properties of Dielectric and Magnetic Material||Physics 7A-7B-7C or Physics 7A-7B and consent of instructorMSE 111 is recommended|
|MSE 120||3||Materials Production||Upper division standing in engineering or science. Undergraduate thermodynamics course.|
|MSE 121||3||Metals Processing||E45|
|MSE 122||3||Ceramic Processing||E45 required, MSE 103 or equivalent recommended.|
|MSE 123||3||Semiconductor Processing||Upper Division standing in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering; E45 or equivalent required. MSE 111 or Physics 7C preferred.|
|MSE 125||3||Thin-film Materials Science||Engineering 45 required; 111 or Physics 141A recommended.|